Many people are not aware that cavities are an infectious disease! The decay process is actually initiated by bacteria that can be passed from one person to another (usually mother-to-child). These bacteria stick to the teeth, consume the sugars and starches in your mouth, and turn them into acids that attack the teeth. As time goes by, the teeth weaken and cavities are formed. One of the best ways to prevent these bacteria from settling in your child’s mouth is to take care of your own teeth with regular dental visits and proper oral hygiene. This will lessen the chance that you pass the “bad” bacteria to your child. Also, make sure he/she does not share cups, spoons, etc. with anyone else. Using xylitol (see below) may also help to eliminate the “bad” bacteria in the mouth.